Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Gifts

I had a dream about knitting last night (note: onset of dreaming does not imply I'm sleeping longer and thus reaching deep sleep. merely that I'm sleep deprived enough that I drop immediately into dreams) I dreamt that I started a pair of socks, and I was just going around and around and around. Unfortunately that's as close as I've gotten to knitting in a couple of weeks. I need something simple, something mindless. I feel naked sitting still without my hands moving, but I rarely have enough time to start something new, or to look at a pattern once something is begun.

Despite the lack of knitting time, folks still seem to think of me as a knitter. My mom gifted me with a great bunch of this yarn in the Butter colorway. It has a very interesting texture (not quite soft, not quite scratchy, very organic), and I love that it's made in the southwest. I've been wanting to make a tank top for ages, so I cast on for this lacey thing while I was still visiting mom in Arizona. Alas, the bottom inch is as far as I've gotten. Not even enough fabric to be considered racey, but more like a belt. I think my rationale went something along the lines of "a tank top will go quicker than a sweater," but when knitting fine yarn on size 4 needles, that might not be the case.

And my friend, Chrystal, returned from a visit to her grandma's farm with this:
IMG_0650
All of it made by her grandma - from sheep to dye kettle to skein. I feel a bit of pressure to do something cool with it - how can I let her go back to Vermont without photos of my appreciative knitting?

So far, this is as close as I've gotten to knitting with any of the yarn...
IMG_0648

Ideas, anyone? There is some laceweight in there, some I don't know what you call it maybe boucle?, and some DK weight. Maybe I should succumb to my lack of time for thought and swatching and just make a knit-every-row shawl? And since Grandma knew exactly what Chrystal was talking about when she told her I was making diaper covers, maybe she'd actually feel honored to have some used for a soaker?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home