Monday, July 23, 2007

Pregnancy brain

A very "Oh my goodness" morning this morning. I stopped to get a bagel on the way to work. I lucked out and pulled into the parking spot right in front of the shop (this was especially lucky as there is a deluge happening outside right now). I ordered my bagel, waited patiently, and as I picked up my things to go out to my car...where's my car? I looked up the street, allowing that pregnancy brain might have only made me think I'd parked right in front of the shop. No...my car wasn't in the other parking spots either....

I looked left and there was my car. It had rolled down to the intersection. I had either completely neglected to apply the parking brake, or I had not applied it fully. Running like a mad-woman, I dashed down the block, hopped in, and drove back to the parking place. This time I pulled HARD on the brake, went back inside to retrieve my hastily forgotten bagel, wallet, and umbrella, hopped back in the car and drove on. No harm no foul?

What scares me is that I have been driving stick shift vehicles for FIFTEEN YEARS. I have never routinely driven an automatic. I have been parking, putting the car in neutral, and applying the parking brake for FIFTEEN YEARS. If my car had made it through the intersection, it would have been at the top of a very steep hill...and I shudder to think of the damage (pedestrian, vehicular, property) it could have caused. Pregnancy brain is no laughing matter. Thankfully the luck of the rabbit was with me today. Maybe the luck of my Year of the Pig baby was also in action.

On the up side, I made a simple discovery on the way to work (after calming down from the near-multi-car-pileup-inducing parking accident). I'm not enjoying knitting the new diaper cover pattern, and though knitting for necessity, there is no reason it shouldn't be pleasant, too. The unpleasantness comes from the multiple difficult increases in the pattern - every other row for about 20 rows. The pattern is very basic: knit 40 sts for several rows for the front, decrease down to 34 between the legs, then increase up to 72 sts for the back wrap-around portion. Adrenaline helped clear the brain this morning, and I realized there is absolutely no reason I can't start from the back, decrease down to 34 and only have to do the increases up to 40. Decreases are fun - it's always fun to watch your knitting go faster and faster - and they look prettier than increases.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home