Thursday, April 02, 2009

The cost of being not that kind of knitter

This lovely sock:
jaywalker
Fits more like an ankle brace than like a sock.
jawalker

I know I said I'm not that kind of knitter, but I'm not stupid either. The Jaywalker pattern is notorious for being too tight for most people, so twice - TWICE - while I was knitting the leg I slipped the stitches onto spare yarn and tried it on. It was snug going over the heel, and I'd have like a bit more ease, but it fit well enough. Going up a size would have made it far too loose. But alas, the finished sock is snug snug snug. I'll give it a bath and see if it loosens up, otherwise this is going to the bottom of the queue, only to get a mate if I decide to gift it to someone with smaller feet. I know some people would rip it out and start over, but I'd rather give it away. I'm just not that kind of knitter.

In other news, BabyMan and Carolyn and I are planning to go see the Yarn Harlot in New York today. This will be my first foray into the city without a second adult (though it's kind of cheating as I'm meeting two adults in Penn Station). BabyMan is quite the challenge when he doesn't want to sit still - I think Jujitsu instructors could learn a thing or two about breaking free from their opponent from this kid.

I say we're planning, because there are several "ifs" in the air. If the weather holds...if BabyMan's cold doesn't get worse as the day goes on....if work doesn't hold me up...(ETA: if it doesn't turn out we had the date wrong!!)

Fingers crossed. We're even dressed for the event.
matching feet

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, April 03, 2009, Anonymous Carolyn said...

So sorry about messing up the Yarn Harlot - we'll catch her next time.

Hey, I've found a couple yarn stores in the city - maybe some time we can do some stash shopping and get lunch, now that the weather is warming up?

 
At 11:33 AM, April 04, 2009, Blogger Cam said...

Love the last photo, the mom and son socks that almost match! Too cute! Does he notice the similarities?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home