Thursday, March 12, 2009

$85,000

Lately I've been thinking of all of the ways I could have spent $85,000.

I could have taken a fabulous vacation every year for the past 10 years.
I could have purchased two super fuel efficient hybrids.
I could have had a massage at a spa every single day for the past 3 years.
I could have saved enough to one day pay for my son's college education.
I could have taken a year off (and then some) to stay home with my baby.

But instead I have a run down house in a run down neighborhood that I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours working on. My house is now valued at less than I bought it for, even though I bought I piece of crap and now I own a very comfortable home. We can't afford to sell it and move, so our one hope is that I lose my job so we can take advantage of the benefits for desperate homeowners. It's a crazy world.

Mr. Obama, I know you can't save everyone, but how am I supposed to feel when witless people who got in over their heads are being rescued, while cautious little me is getting screwed? When people who weren't hurt by the plunge in housing values can get a great deal (with government support) for buying their first home, while those of us who have owned are dead-broke without any assistance or incentive to buy again?

I have some photos of recent home improvements, and I'll post them here if I ever get access to the computer at home.
I've been knitting like crazy because knitting is the only thing that isn't a helpless trainwreck right now. Even if I royally screw something up, I can always rip it out and start again. And I've not forgotten that I have the most amazing and charming little boy. The boy and knitting might be all that stand between me and a total break-down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home