Thursday, January 15, 2009

random

1) Knitters give the best birthday cakes
Thanks to Sarah for the yarn cake and to Sa for the TWO fabulous cakes (well, a cake and a pie) for my men back in September.
cakes cut
yarn cake

2) Knitting is the S&M of crafting
Sa called to complain that she'd spent 7 hours knitting her sock*. I applauded, but she said, "but I didn't enjoy it! I was ripping and reknitting the whole time!" I laughed cruelly into the phone. Crochet may be faster, but knitting is so much more addictive.

3) Maybe drinking coke isn't so bad
According to a story I heard on NPR last week, an attempt to poison the leader of Afghanistan by the Soviets in 1980-something was thwarted because they put the poison in his Coca-cola and it neutralized the poison.

4) Lace knitting isn't hard
It's the unknitting, fixing mistakes, and figuring out how the *&?!*! you can possibly have 103 stitches when you started with 105 and you just know you were being extra extra careful.

5) Apparently you can survive on 1.5hrs of sleep a night
But I wouldn't recommend it unless your place of employment provides opportunities for random outbursts of weeping.

5b) Coffee doesn't make me feel any less tired
But I can feel the film on my teeth, the beat of my heart, and the tips of my fingernails are extra sensitive.

5c) I know you're tired of hearing about this. It does not change the fact that I am still not getting any sleep.

6) It's 2009
Happy New Year. Go sign up for Ravelry if you haven't already. If I continue blogging, it will be boring family things. Ravelry is a much better venue for the details of projects. I'm trying to think of a great screen name for my mom to get her to sign up....will keep her posted. QuilterKnitter? MeSoCrafty (probably taken)?

7) I've signed up for newsgator
Now I just have to figure out to get my blog on an RSS feed. Then, if you "subscribe" to my blog you can be notified when I update it, rather than checking in here during the long, long winter between posts.

7b) I'm planning to blog every Thursday. So far I'm 2 for 2. Anyone want to take a bet on how long this lasts?

8) I'm hopelessly addicted to knitting socks
I use the excuse that the husband is too big (long arms, not big belly) to knit garments for, and the WeeMan grows too fast. But really? It's just that I have this bizarre obsession with socks. (edited to spare you - will need to devote an entire post to this topic)


* FWIW: the sock is only her second knitting project - her first was a scarf that looked like a typical first knit scarf until she had to whip out the wicked crochet skills and make it look killer good (and me a bit jealous that I'm such a bumbler at crochet).

1 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, January 16, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you got it, sorry it took so long! Have you tried the other goodies? Let me know what you think, I haven't tried them yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home